We are delighted to invite current foster youth to submit an application to participate in the First Star UCLA Bruin Guardian Scholars Academy.
The First Star UCLA Bruin Guardian Scholars Academy (BGSA) is a free, comprehensive four-year college access program for youth in foster care. BGSA offers a 2-4 week residential summer academy where youth receive academic support, enrichment, and encouragement needed to assist them in becoming competitive college applicants. The program engages a cohort of students in a variety of fun and active learning opportunities that include academic courses for college credit, independent studies, social and cultural activities, field trips, service learning, and recreational activities. In addition to the summer immersion program, students will receive individual support and mentoring throughout the academic year through their participation in monthly Saturday Academies.
1. Los Angeles County foster youth with an open DCFS case.
2. Currently in 8th, 9th and 10th grade (LAUSD schools preferred)
3. Able and willing to participate in a 2-4 week residential component at the university, and monthly Saturday sessions during the school year
4. At least a 2.0 GPA and 90% attendance in the current and previous school year, unless there is a reasonable explanation for participation
5. Demonstrates maturity and potential to thrive in a college-prep setting.
Submit Completed Application by April 30, 2023
- DEADLINE: April 30, 2023
- Notifications sent by May 15, 2022
- Mandatory Orientation: TBA
What happens after submission?
After the deadline, all complete applications will be reviewed by First Star and UCLA staff through a comprehensive selection process. Selected applicants will be contacted for a virtual interview. Notification of acceptance into the program will begin by mid-May. There will be a mandatory caregiver/student orientation in July, for those accepted into the program.
Begin First Star Student Application